1. Project Status
  2. Current Photos
  3. Risk Management
  4. Detailed Project Progress and Status
    1. LSST Program Office
    2. University of Washington
    3. Princeton University and University of California, Davis
    4. IPAC / California Institute of Technology
    5. SLAC / Stanford University
    6. NCSA / University of Illinois
    7. Current accomplishments:
    8. NOAO
    9. Current accomplishments:

Data Management Summary Monthly Report

April 2015
 
Project Status

The Summer 2015 release continued, with all teams working on the next round of features and tests against the LDM-240 Key Progress Metrics. The progress is somewhat slower than planned, due to the continuing shortage of personnel versus plan. At present, all schedule slips still fit within the existing float and no critical path activities have slipped. As reported at the AMCL meeting in Chile, our plan is to increase the staff ramp and add additional personnel in FY16 using our current under-spend, before the critical path is affected.


The Data Management Development Roadmap (LDM-240), which is the primary "measuring stick" of DM development progress, was updated for the remainder of FY15 in March, and a more extensive update covering FY16 - FY18 was initiated in April. This "bottom-up" iteration for the first time incorporated input from the institutional Technical/Control Account Managers (T/CAMs) and aligns the Roadmap with their detailed plans for development in each location. We anticipate completing this update by the end of June.
 
The FIU sub award contract has completed final round of comments with AURA contracts was signed. All major sub award contracts have now been executed. We are now entering a round of amendments and updates for minor items that were deferred in order to execute the initial contracts more rapidly. We are also starting the process of analyzing the budget so that we can start preparing FY16 amendments.
 
The amendment to the NCSA agreement for the procurement of hardware was reviewed, especially for property management and the handling of equipment purchases that will remain in operation at NCSA. We have deferred the handling of equipment destined for Chile, as that will not occur for 2 more years and we need to address the NCSA-based equipment first.
 
The Brazil MOA (Networks) has been revised based on the LSSTC committee on international partnerships and is being sent to the Brazilian parties for their comment and review.
 
Recruiting and hiring activities continued across all DM institutions: two interviews were conducted, two new offers were made. Seventeen positions have been filled to date since the MREFC award, while seven positions are currently open.
 

Back to top



Current Photos
 
No new photos this month.
 

Back to top



Risk Management
 
The DM Risk Register was reviewed in the monthly process. No new risks were added and no significant changes to existing risk exposure were made.

 

Back to top



Detailed Project Progress and Status


LSST Program Office

DM Project Management and Control

Current accomplishments:

The DM Project Manager:


·   Completed work with AURA on FIU contract, and continued work on the amendment to the NCSA contract covering LSST equipment procurements.
·   Continued supporting process to move draft Memorandum of Agreement with Brazil to signature.
·   Completed planning and coordination for the next Data Management All Hands Meeting at NCSA May 18 - 21.
·   Conducted T/CAM training in Tucson April 8 - 9.
·   Attended the LSST First Stone, AMCL, and LSST Corporation Board meetings in Chile April 13 - 17. Delivered briefing on DM status, planning process, and upcoming plans for the AMCL April meeting.
·   Represented LSST at the South American Astronomy Coordination Committee (SAACC) meeting in Chile April 20.
·   Conducted Technical/Cost Account Manager (T/CAM) training in Tucson on April 8 - 9, covering PMCS, Risk Management, Travel and Administrative Systems, and JIRA Agile/PMCS/LDM-240 integration.
·   Continued work on hiring DM SQuaRE scientist, addressed relocation issues, and an offer letter is being prepared for the candidate's spouse to address "dual body" issue.
 

Planned activities:

The DM Project Manager will:


·   Continue recruiting and hiring.
·   Continue work with AURA and NCSA amendment to the NCSA contract covering LSST equipment procurements.
·   Continue supporting process to move draft Memorandum of Agreement with Brazil to signature.
·   Continue planning and coordination for the LSST 2015 Meeting at Bremerton August 17 - 21.
·   Conduct the International Networks Acquisition Review on May 6 in Tucson.
 

DM Science

Current accomplishments:
The DM Project Scientist planned April DM activities were pre-empted by a request by the Project Science Team to evaluate LSST capabilities in the area of asteroid (specifically, NEO and PHA) discovery.
 
With Lynne Jones, he is examining the following set of questions:
 


1.  What are the detection and false-positive rates that we can expect   from LSST-like difference images, based on running image differencing pipeline prototypes on LSST-like data (HSC)?
2.  Assuming those detection and false-positives rates, and assuming   the current LSST baseline cadence, with what efficiency can LSST's  MOPS link the detections into orbits (i.e., if we detect an object  on an image twice per night, in three nights, over two weeks, what  is the success rate of MOPS in linking the three pairs into an orbit).
3.  Given the linking success rate above, and the population of NEOs   (e.g., Bottke's or Greenstreet et al. 2012 model), how many of them will the LSST detect, as a function of absolute magnitude (or size).

 
The activities so far focused on #3, as well as an understanding the
details of problems encountered by other surveys (specifically, NEOWISE,
CSS, and PS1).
 
Other than this analysis work, the DM Project Scientist participated in the PST meeting in La Serena and Santiago, Chile, as well as contributed to the DM status
presentation to the AMCL meeting in Santiago, Chile. He is also participating in efforts to optimize the DM organization and roles.
 
Planned activities:
 
In May, the DM Project Scientist expects to continue to evaluate LSST capabilities in the area of asteroid (specifically, NEO and PHA) discovery.
 
DM System Engineering

Current accomplishments:

Activities completed by the DM System Architect include:
·  Developed internal qualitative WBS progress visualization
·  Initial training of Deputy System Architect; assigned Python/C++ project
·  Wrote up release notes for v10.1 release
·  Interviews for SLAC positions
·  Clarified image stitching requirements and design
·  Did sprint review of Qserv/Data Access team April release
·  Developed estimate of Base office requirements for DM-related personnel
·  Discussions with Alex Withers, new Information Security Officer
·  Reviewed file storage infrastructure diagrams
·  Technical design deep dive with IPAC SUI team, focusing on butler
·  Attended project risk review meeting
·  Discussions with many people about DM Project Engineer position
·  Initial discussions about use and role of SQLAlchemy
·  2 weeks of vacation

Activities completed by the DM System Interfaces Scientist include:
·  LSE-68 draft developed with Mike Huffer, Tony Johnson, and Stuart Marshall
·  Covers changes to the data acquisition interface reflecting the removal of guider ROI support from the "pull" interface, increased clarity concerning the "image identifier" and "image name" features of the DAQ system, some development of the partitioning mechanism.
·  Change request for LSE-68 submitted, LCR-357: https://project.lsst.org/groups/ccb/node/757
·  No significant LSE-69 changes emerged from discussions with the camera team at this time, so we have decided to just collect minor items for an update later in the year.
·  Sent a memo to the Telescope & Site group regarding changes needed in LSE-75:  https://confluence.lsstcorp.org/display/SYSENG/LSE-75+change+memo+2015-04-28
·  T&S group will meet with us in May for further discussions; they have been occupied with higher-priority items.
·  Placeholder change request for LSE-75 submit, LCR-356: https://project.lsst.org/groups/ccb/node/756
·  Worked with Brian Selvy to construct a common list of construction and commissioning milestone - see https://confluence.lsstcorp.org/download/attachments/33161357/SW-HW%20Handoff%20Milestones%20-%20LCR-323.xlsx?version=1&modificationDate=1431106865000&api=v2 for a working copy
·  Prepared a series of drafts of LDM-240 incorporating input from the various DM groups


 
Planned activities:

The DM System Architect will:


·  Continue on the update to LDM-240, and prioritizing DM development plans (in his new additional role as DM Project Engineer)
·  Continue supporting LSST System Engineering activities (CCB, Risk, etc.)

 
The DM System Interfaces Scientist will:

·  Prepare final draft of LSE-68 change for CCB action at May meeting
·  Prepare an initial draft of a new version of LSE-75 for possible action at the June CCB meeting
·  Produce description of summit-base-link-severed use cases for the Technical Operations Working Group (deferred from April)
·  Synchronize DM PMCS plan with Brian Selvy milestone list
 

DM Science Quality and Reliability Engineering (SQuaRE)
 

Current Accomplishments:
02C.01.02 SDQA 
 
Frossie visited IPAC for three days and discussed SDQA visualization needs and Level 3 data products. See details under WBS 02C.05.01(Basic Archive Access Tools).
 
02C.01.02.03
 
The W15 stack release (v10_1) process continued. A number of blockers were identified and addressed. The final candidate cleared was v10_1_rc3
 
02C.01.02.04
 
Progress on the new CI system continued, on track for end of May minimum viable deployment.

Planned Activities:


·  v10_1 release
·  implement Github-based release process
·  CI system to demo stage
·  SUI and SQuaRE group to test out Firefly APIs

DM Applications, Middleware, and Infrastructure

Current accomplishments:


·  Executed Summer 2015 plan for March (refer to individual institution reports in DM Extended Monthly Progress Report for details).
·  Continued work on updating the DM Sizing Model unit quotes in preparation the first acquisitions of the Development and Integration clusters.
·  Completed Base Data Center requirements and prepared statement of work for design consultant to support AE bid process.
·  Completed work on making IPAC Firefly an open source package, accessible through Github. Firefly will be the foundation of the first generation Science User Interface. The SUI group has also conducted meetings to support visualization needs for SQuaRE and the Camera team.

·  DM team members participated in the LSST Technical Operations Working Group (TOWG). They developed use cases to help with specifications for the buildings in La Serena, justifying the required office space based on the necessary level of staff.

·  The base data center requirements were revised with updates to square footage, average rack weights, and power requirements. These revisions were reviewed with the Chilean site team.

Planned activities:


·  Execute the Summer 2015 plan for April (refer to individual institution reports in DM Extended Monthly Progress Report for details).
·  Complete the update to the DM Development Roadmap (LDM-240).
·   Complete the DM Sizing Model update.


University of Washington

Current accomplishments:
02C.03.00 -- Alert Production Management Engineering and Integration
 
Simon Krughoff (SK) attended the T/CAM training in Tucson.  SK also hosted Alex Parker as a candidate for the Research Scientist position.  SK worked with Nikolina Horvat to produce the WBS breakdown for the UW invoice to LSST.
 
02C.03.04 -- Image Differencing Pipeline
 
SK began identifying improvements for the diffim pipeline including removal of pex_policy.  The examples need to be refactored or deprecated.  One off code needs to be removed.
 
02C.03.01 -- Single Frame Processing
 
Yusra AlSayyad (YA) modified the ISR interface to stop passing an opaque object.  The interface now takes named calibration products.  This makes it much easier to use with arbitrary data.
 
02C.03.08 -- Astrometric Calibration Pipeline

SK and Russell Owen (RO) worked with Dominique Boutigny (DB) to track down the regression in the astrometry task.  One issue with the numeric stability of the solver was identified and fixed.  There are issues remaining with the matchers that may be contributing to the regression identified by DB.

Planned activities:
02C.03.00 -- Alert Production Management Engineering and Integration
 
SK will attend the Hotwiring the Transient Universe IV meeting.  SK will attend the DMLT meeting at NCSA.
 
02C.03.05 -- Application Framework for Exposures
 
UA and RO will work on porting over HSC aperture corrections to the LSST stack.
 
02C.03.08 -- Astrometric Calibration Pipeline
 
SK and RO will continue looking into the astrometry regression.

 


Princeton University and University of California, Davis

This report covers work carried out in FM7 of FY15 in the Data Release Production group (staff at Princeton plus Price and Gee working remotely).

Current accomplishments:
02C.04.00 Data Release Production Management Engineering and Integration
 
Swinbank attended the T/CAM training session in Tucson during this month.
 
As this was the first month in which review of the risk register has been delegated to T/CAMs, as a follow-up to the training session Swinbank spent considerable time reviewing and refining the existing risk register and submitted a number of questions to the DM Project Manager.
 
At the request of the System Architect, we provided numerous details about work carried out since the v9_2 release of the stack, several months ago, to form the basis of a new set of release notes.
 
A minor tweak of the previous submissions from DRP to the LDM-240 revision process was submitted based on guidance from the DMLT that milestones should involve concrete deliverable functionality rather than vaguely defined “improvements”. We note that we continue to regard the current LDM-240 plan as transitional, and will be working to improve it by working backwards from the DPD in late Summer 2015.
 
Hiring:
 
Peter Melchior has accepted a postdoctoral position in the group at Princeton, and is due to start in October 2015.
 
We continue to work towards recruiting a software developer to join the group at Princeton. Since this is a non-academic role for which we do not require a PhD, it has to be hired through Princeton’s Human Resources Department. We spent considerable time and effort negotiating with HR to establish an appropriate description and salary range for this role. This effort is still ongoing.
 
02C.04.01 - Application Framework for Catalogs
 
The coordinate handling routines were updated to support idiomatic and convenient mixed-type operations between Point and Extent type objects in both C++ and Python [RFC-41, DM-1197].
 
Multiple corrections and updates were made to the world coordinate system (WCS) documentation [DM-2464].
 
Minor fixes to the application framework included the clarification of equality semantics for coordinates [DM-2465] and correctly checking for infinite values in image statistics [DM-2488].
 
02C.04.03 - PSF Estimation
 
No work was carried out under this WBS during this month.
 
02C.04.06 - Object Characterization Pipeline
 
Work began on the epic to estimate the values of parameters required to estimate galaxy shear fitting performance [DM-1108]. This started with an extensive planning exercise, but also developing a custom fork of the GREAT3 galaxy simulation code [DM-2431] and developing libraries of PSF and galaxy simulations for use in this project [DM-2432, DM-2433, DM-2434].
 
Measurement transformation plugins were completed for the major three measurement types: positions, fluxes and shapes. These provide a means of converting from raw measurement quantities (e.g. pixel positions) to physical units (e.g. celestial coordinates) [DM-2192].
 
A bug whereby flux measurements could fail with an uncaught exception was fixed [DM-2455].
 
Multiple important pieces of the HSC deblender code were ported and merged to the LSST stack [DM-1943, DM-1944, DM-1946]. This ongoing HSC porting effort resulted in DM-1525, a bug regarding ‘halos’ appearing around stars which was reported by an external user, being resolved.

Planned activities:
02C.04.00 Data Release Production Management Engineering and Integration
 
Note that Swinbank will be travelling continuously from 29 April through 22 June and will therefore be working with a reduced velocity.
 
Bosch, Lupton and Swinbank will all attend the DMLT meeting at NCSA in mid-May.
 
Lust will be starting at Princeton on 11 May. He will be tasked with helping with the effort to merge all changes from HSC into LSST. We expect his initial velocity to be low as he ramps up.
 
02C.04.01 - Application Framework for Catalogs
 
No significant pieces of work are planned for this WBS. We anticipate a continuing level of bug fixing and maintenance.
 
02C.04.03 - PSF Estimation
 
No work is expected to be undertaken under this WBS.
 
02C.04.06 - Object Characterization Pipeline
 
Continuing the HSC porting effort and the galaxy shear performance study will remain our key focus areas. In addition, we hope to start work on the redesigned Footprint interface (DM-1904); however, Swinbank’s absence (above) means that manpower for this will likely be lacking.
 
In addition, the command line tasks to drive the the measurement transform system will be finalized [DM-2191]. The measurement framework updates are now sufficiently mature that support for old-version tables will be dropped, resulting in a significant code simplification and cleanup [DM-1766].
 
As part of the HSC porting effort, we have opened discussions with the System Architect and the team at NCSA regarding the middleware requirements to support HSC-like data processing. Currently, HSC supports a more advanced distribution system than LSST; work is ongoing to establish whether porting that to LSST would be a worthwhile exercise, or whether existing or future home-grown LSST code would be a better alternative.


IPAC / California Institute of Technology

Current accomplishments:
02C.05.00
 


·  Xiuqin attended the T/CAM training. It was very useful to have a systematic knowledge about PMCS and learn about  the eCAM notebook and risk registry.
·  LDM-240 road map revamp for Y16-Y20, revision

 
02C.05.01   Basic Archive Access Tools
 

·  Continued the discussion of data access APIs with SLAC group, VO came up again and we felt it was important that DM should have a coherent strategy about VO. 
·  Held weekly design discussions for SUI, we are going to work on the Firefly toolkit first. 
·  K-T visited for one day, gave the team very good overview of butler, middleware,  and DM architecture. We are very appreciative of his effort. It will definitely help us to see the big picture better when we work on the detailed design for accessing LSST file system directly. 
·  Frossie visited for three days.  We discussed incorporating SUI in continuous integration and test, Level3 data products and SDAD relationship. We discussed the potential for SQUARE team to use the Firefly visualization components. The discussion brought up several new use cases and technical issues for Firefly to address: 
·  Should Firefly be able to access data in cloud?
·  Could Firefly Toolkit users specify the rules to name the files when exporting the data, basically put a plug-in for naming scheme before the data is written out to a file, or should Butler provide a way to do it?
·  Could Firefly be able to recognize a HTML link in a cell and make it clickable?
·  Could Firefly support a on the fly histogram generation using injected data?
·  Current Firefly search processor returns some data set. Could it be augmented to allow injection of meta data that Firefly could understand and render properly?
·  Design the Firefly web APIs to be RESTful.

 
02C.05.02   Data Analysis and Visualization Tools
 

·  Continue the development on the JavaScript APIs and Python APIs for Firefly visualization components 
·  Update and add new the stretch algorithm in Firefly for image visualization.

 
02C.05.03 Alert/Notification Toolkit
 

·  Researched and studied the curet existing system and tools related to alert, like Skyalert and Catalina. 
·  Study the new technology XeroMQ messaging for alerts distribution. 

Planned activities:
02C.05.00  
 

  
  
  
   
· Mario will visit for one day.
· Xiuqin, David, and Gregory will be attending the DMLT meeting at NCSA.
· LDM-240 road map revamp for Y16-Y20,finish the dependency portion.
02C.05.01   Basic Archive Access Tools
· Continue the discussion of data access APIs with SLAC group
· Setup the access to NCSA hosts to test out the access to APIs and database
 02C.05.02   Data Analysis and Visualization Tools
· Continue the development on the JavaScript APIs and Python APIs for Firefly visualization components 
· Update and add new the stretch algorithm in Firefly for image visualization.
· Tatiana will visit NCSA to work with the camera team on Firefly visualization 
 02C.05.03 Alert/Notification Toolkit
· David, Gregory, and John will be attending the HotWired conference for a week


SLAC / Stanford University

Current accomplishments:

02C.06.00 Science Data Archive and Application Services Management Engineering and Integration

·  Coordinated April Sprint for the Data Access Team

·  Attended 3-day local MySQL User conference (Jacek and Fritz), and summarized in confluence. As a result of this meeting, we are getting into closer collaboration with MySQL core team from MariaDB Foundation / original founders. Short term goal is to realign MySQL with our needs in the area of GIS support (spatial geometry). I also made few connections that might help us find some candidates to hire

·  Discussions with MySQL team about GIS support.

·  Documented current usage of mysql proxy and started discussions with MySQL team about mysql-proxy replacement

·  Attended remotely parts of the T/CAM training session

·  Reworked 02C.06 4th level WBS structure and implemented it (slac sub accounts, ldm-240, epics in jira)

·  Maped the Data Access Team work into milestones

·  Organized weekly Qserv and Data Access meetings

·  Interviews: Full on-site: Norair Khachiyan (two interviews)

·  Bringing Fabrice from IN2P3 onto the team / contract with IN2P3

·  Extending subcontract with TAMU for Vaikunth

·  Created second job opening (SLAC job req #1642) – replacement for Daniel, who is leaving SLAC at the end of this month.

·  Discussions with SLAC HR about staff retention

·  Continued preparing for XLDB 2015 Conference

·  Brought on board additional staff (70% FTE to cover Daniel Wang departure impact temporarily until positions filled.

·  Working on Fabrice Jammes contract (30%) and extending contract with TAMU (Vaikunth Thakral) by 2 months

02C.06.01.01 Catalogs, Alerts and Metadata

·   ingest code (DM-210) is being postponed further, because Serge focused on data loading for large scale tests. The Ingest work is really just a cleanup and it is a low priority, not blocking anyone at the moment.

02C.06.01.02 Image and File Archive

 
 
 
  
 
· We made progress with the web form, notably we synchronized it with the metaserv schema. It will be finished in May. The form is implemented by Tony J., who is new to the team, and only at 10%.
02C.06.02.01 Data Access Client Framework
· No updates here, nothing was scheduled for March here
02C.06.02.02 Web Services
· Almost done with code for error handling, code under review. The person working on that code is new to the team, takes us longer to do review/merging than it normally would.
02C.06.02.03 Query Services
· We did bulk of the work related to preparing for running large scale tests. We have Qserv setup on 25-node cluster, we defined procedure for preparing the data and loading the data, and we are in the process of loading the data. The story is not closed because data loading has not finished as of 4/30.
· Built Qserv Release 2015_04. Release notes are pasted below.
02C.06.02.04 Image Services
· Almost done with implementing image response for ImageServ and image stitching. Former is slow because the person working on that is new to the team. The later is slow because the person working on it focused on knowledge transfer from Daniel who is leaving the team. Both tasks will be finished early in May.
02C.06.02.05 Catalog Services
· Almost done JSON results for Web Services. Slow because the person working on that is new to the team.
Planned activities:
02C.06.00 Science Data Archive and Application Services Management Engineering and Integration
· Mid-cycle replanning
· Organize weekly Qserv and Data Access meetings
· Search for candidates for remaining open positions
· XLDB 2015 Conference
02C.06.01.01 Catalogs, Alerts and Metadata
· Implement Data Ingest (DM-210)
02C.06.01.02 Image and File Archive
· Finish work on improvements to the form
02C.06.02.01 Data Access Client Framework
· No plans in this area in March
02C.06.02.02 Web Services
· Finish implementing error handling
· Implement API versioning
· Implement RESTful python client
02C.06.02.03 Query Services
· Finish preparing for running large scale tests
· Continue designing data distribution and replication (DM-1060), start lightweight prototyping
· Continue work on Qserv Refactoring (DM-1707) – unit testing for controller module, query killing, supporting unlimited results
· Continue work on DM & Table Mgmt (DM-1703) – worker mgmt service: data loading, authentication, structures for deleting tables
· Add support for transmitting VAR/Binary data
· Finish work on Multi-node Multi-query integration testing harness
· Finish work on Query Cancellation epic
02C.06.02.04 Image Services
· Finish implementing image response for ImageServ
· Implement image stitching across tract boundaries
02C.06.02.05 Catalog Services
· Implement properly structured results for MetaServ and DbServ
· Document structure of our custom ddl ascii schema


NCSA / University of Illinois


Current accomplishments:
02C.07.00 Processing Control and Site Infrastructure Management
 
Management work in the month of April included finalizing the position profiles for new hires, updating the development roadmap in LDM-240 with milestones in FY16 and beyond, and preparing slides for the DM presentation at the AMCL meeting. Additionally, the Cost Account Manager traveled to Tucson for a week to attend the T/CAM training meeting about the LSST PMCS and risk register. NCSA managers continue to work closely with the UIUC Business Office, NCSA financial department, and NCSA IT personnel to continue integrating our reporting, planning, and invoicing processes.
 
02C.07.01 Processing Control
 
In April, work continued on drafting the job progress state diagrams and writing the handler for the logging framework. We also worked extensively on the Alert Production Simulator, refactoring, creating long-running pilot Condor jobs, integrating OCS, and implementing APIs to transfer files to the replicator.
 
02C.07.02 Infrastructure Services
 
In April, the ISO continued his investigation. The focus was on the SCADA enclave and interfacing with the Telescope and Site team. Work began to draft a SCADA security plan.
 
More work was done with the Puppet configuration management tool to prototype standard configurations on a set of test servers. Improvements were made to the proposed storage policies, and work was done to develop storage procedures and implementation based on these policies. Researching and prototyping file systems continued with tuning and implementing ZFS on our own servers, as well as beginning to look at optimizing NFS or replacing it with Ceph.
 
We continued researching the capabilities of iRODS, especially in registering data virtually and into a cache, and in handling file corruption and data loss. We also investigated the current usage of iRODS and its development track, as well as the LSST Datacat in the context of managing files at NCSA.
 
02C.07.03 Environment and Tools
 
No activities are planned in this area for the S15 cycle.
 
02C.07.04 Site Infrastructure
 
In April, NCSA looked into on-boarding staff to help with the base site requirements. The facility manager at the National Petascale Computing Facility is now available at a 5% level to participate as a consultant to the project.
 
No activities dependent on purchasing new hardware have been planned until mid-summer due to pending procurement contract. In April we developed a draft and continue move towards finalizing this contract.
 
We continued to investigate the user reports of slowness on the development machines at NCSA.
 
Planned activities:
 
02C.07.00 Processing Control and Site Infrastructure Management
 
Anticipated management work in the month of May includes interviewing for the position profiles for new hires, and continuing the update to the development roadmap in LDM-240 with milestones in FY16 and beyond.
 
02C.07.01 Processing Control
 
In May, we will continue work on the Alert Production Simulator, refactoring, creating long-running pilot Condor jobs, integrating OCS, and implementing APIs to transfer files to the replicator.
 
02C.07.02 Infrastructure Services
 
In May, the ISO will continue his work on the draft SCADA security plan.
 
More work will be done with the Puppet configuration management tool. Researching and prototyping file systems will continue with looking at optimizing NFS or replacing it with Ceph.
 
We will continue researching the capabilities of iRODS, focusing on its development track, as well as the LSST Datacat in the context of managing files at NCSA.
 
02C.07.03 Environment and Tools
 
No activities are planned in this area for the S15 cycle.
 
02C.07.04 Site Infrastructure
 
In May, the facility manager at the National Petascale Computing Facility will review the Base Data Center requirements as a consultant to the project.
 
In May we anticipate another draft of the procurement contract and moving towards finalizing this contract.

 


NOAO


Current accomplishments:
02C.08.03 Long-Haul Networks
 
Met with Cisco in Tucson to discuss ACI (Application Centric Infrastructure) and SDN (Software Defined Networks). This architecture appears to be suited to the Base and Summit Networking and a new paradigm to the legacy Core-Aggregation-Access model. It would behoove us to take training with this new product in order to assess further the implications of departing from VLAN stitching to Policy management. Stuart Marshall and others of SLAC are going to talk to their data center personnel to inquire their opinion.
 
Ron Lambert visited Pachon and Tololo with the Telefonica fiber installation team to assess the new run of Tololo - Pachon versus San Carlos Valley to summit.
 
Chip Cox and Ron Lambert met to update on the status of the International link. It is still in a state of flux but our requirements will be met with the probability of much better bandwidth than the baseline calls out. Brazil is in basic agreement on MOU but delaying signing. RNP have an opinion on the links LSST should be using from Brazil to US.
 
There was a strong storm in Chile that affected the communications to the Northern part of the country. The fiber was cut for ~ 3 days and authorities disallowed crews from carrying out repairs due to the dangerous mudslides that were occurring.mmIt is difficult to predict what nature is going to produce but the current diversity of the fiber paths from La Serena to Santiago should protect LSST traffic considering that the paths are truly diverse and do not merge closer than 20-30Km with an elevated range between them. Telefonica has become interested in the Aguas Negras pass to Argentina that could give greater diversity to Santiago.
 
Planned Activities
 
02C.08.03 Long-Haul Networks
 


·  Attend a meeting with Telefonica and Reuna to discover the outcome of the new fiber run from Summit to Gate.
·  Attend a meeting with Reuna to discuss strategy for end equipment RFQ.
·  Review by Chip of the International and US neworks.
·  Attend SAACC meeting in Santiago.
 

 

Back to top