1. Project Status
  2. Current Photos
  3. Risk Management
  4. Detailed Project Progress and Status
    1. LSST Program Office
    2. University of Washington
    3. Princeton University and University of California, Davis
    4. IPAC / California Institute of Technology
    5. SLAC / Stanford University
    6. NCSA / University of Illinois
    7. Current accomplishments:
    8. NOAO
    9. Current accomplishments:

Data Management Monthly Report

October 2015
 
Project Status


·  The Winter 2016 release work continued and remains on track to complete in February, 2016. Features implemented include:

o    A safer method of removing outliers when assembling coadds was implemented. This algorithm is based on detecting contiguous regions in the difference between a non-clipped coadd and an aggressively-clipped coadd, and only rejecting pixels that are outliers in a single epoch. This approach has been successfully used on HSC.
o   Improved qserv query services, implemented proof-of-concept prototype of Provenance, added support for registry-free repository.
o   On conversion of Firefly client side software from GWT based code to React/FLUX based pure JavaScript code, a simple framework was setup using React/redux, and a new React component for tabs management was added.
o  Enabled obs_decam to be used to run ISR (but not crosstalk) with updated gain, read noise, saturation, and defects.
·   The Calibration team began preparations for initial tests of the Collimated Beam Projector which will take place at CTIO in late November.
·   The NCSA team commissioned OpenStack with the SQuaRE team and other LSST developers to help them ramp up their use of the NCSA Nebula cluster.
·   Most of the equipment from the FY15 hardware procurement plan arrived at NCSA in October, and was installed and configured. This involved mounting new servers, rearranging hardware/networking in the machine room, setting up vSphere services for system management, and setting up VM cluster for hosting Mac VMs.
·   The FY16 Infrastructure Acquisition Strategy document was reviewed and approved, and the requisition prepared and approved. A change request was submitted and approved to adjust the baseline acquisition schedule more front-loaded for the Development and Integration clusters.
·  We continued work on the Data Management Development Roadmap (LDM-240), improving Milestone and Key Performance Metric descriptions and analyzing resource loading. We will complete this activity in the November DM Leadership Team Meeting and then implement in PMCS.
·  Continued execution of the RFP for the Long-Haul Network DWDM end node equipment. We have reviewed and ranked nine proposals and continue with interviews leading to a Best and Final Offer round.
·  The DM Project Scientist continued the verification and understanding of NEO detection efficiency and effectiveness. A small sample of publicly-available data from a DECam near earth object survey (PI Lori Allen) was processed through the LSST image differencing pipeline. This allowed us to estimate the false positive rate of difference image detections, which was found to be in line with and possibly better than the false positive rate that similar DECam surveys had found (Kessler et al. 2015, using SExtractor). This work will then feed into estimates of LSST's ability to link detections of actual moving objects into tracklets and then orbits.
·  Several DM staff attended conferences and presented papers or posters, including ADASS, IVOA Interop, Github Universe, and PuppetConf.
·  Several DM staff attended the DESC meeting at Argonne National Lab.
·  The DM Project Engineer and other DM team members conducted the DM Boot Camp simultaneously at LSST Tucson, Princeton, and UW. The Boot Camp trained the new hires in developing using the DM processes, tools, and documentation and the trainee feedback was very positive.
·  The DM SQuaRE investigated Git LFS as a solution to storing data repositories of CI/QA interest (such as afwdata) in git, and the system was deployed at the end of the month into production on the NCSA Nebula OpenStack cluster. The core repository afwdata was converted and our Continuous Integration system was switched to pulling it from the Git LFS service, thus providing some early performance feedback. Although the service is live, the SQuaRE production deployment process still has some remaining steps, which will be addressed next month. This is the first SQuaRE production service deployed on Nebula, and much work was done architecting on that system and passing feedback to the Nebula team.
·  Recruiting and hiring activities continued across all DM institutions. Twenty-nine positions have been filled to date since the MREFC award, while 8 positions are currently open.   In Tucson a position for a SQuaRE Scientist was opened.

 

Back to top



Current Photos
 
Suzanne Jacoby has pictures from DM Boot Camp.
 
 

Back to top



Risk Management
 
The DM Risk Register was reviewed in the monthly process. No significant changes to exposure or newly added risks.

 

Back to top



Detailed Project Progress and Status


LSST Program Office

DM Project Management and Control

Current accomplishments:

The DM Project Manager:


·   Participated in the DM Boot Camp.
·   Continued development of the contracts for the Chilean National and Mountain – Base fiber optic networks and corresponding updates to schedules in PMCS.
·   Continued work with NCSA on contract amendment to fund the FY16 Infrastructure Acquisition Strategy.
·   Continued development of FY16 contract amendments. Amendments were prepared and sent to institutions for IPAC, NCSA, Princeton, SLAC, UCD, and UW. Smaller contracts for temporary contract staff at BNL, U Penn, and IN2P3 are also in work.
·   Planned next face to face DM Leadership Team Meeting at Princeton November 16 – 19.
·  Recruiting and hiring activities continued across all DM institutions. Twenty-nine positions have been filled to date since the MREFC award, while eight positions are currently open. In Tucson, we opened new SQuaRE scientist position.

 
Planned activities:

The DM Project Manager will:


·   Participate in DM Leadership Team Meeting at Princeton November 16 – 19
·   Prepare draft slides for NSF Annual Review of LSST
·   Continue work with NCSA on contract amendment to fund the FY16 Infrastructure Acquisition Strategy.
·   Continue development of FY16 contract amendments.
·   Continue recruiting and hiring activities

 

DM Science

Current accomplishments:
October DM PS activities continued to be focused on the study of the efficiency of
LSST as a detector of NEOs, as well as participation in a series of meetings.
 
Specific work includes:
 
Joachim Moeyens has started at UW, working on the Moving Object Processing  System (MOPS) for the asteroid detection efficiency study. We have compiled MOPS, fixing bitrot and enabled building on OS X platform. The functionality has been tested up to linkTracklets stage; linkTracklets will be next.
 
Colin Slater processed a small sample of publicly-available data from a DECam near earth object survey (PI Lori Allen) through the LSST image differencing pipeline. This allowed us to estimate the false positive rate of difference image detections, which was found to be in line with and possibly better than the false positive rate that similar DECam surveys had found (Kessler et al. 2015, using SExtractor). This work will then feed into estimates of LSST's ability to link detections of actual moving objects into tracklets and then orbits.
 
The DM PS has written the first draft of the LSST Data Management reference paper, which we plan to submit to proceedings of ADASS XXV. This paper is intended to become a standard reference for the LSST DM System, though first light.
 
The DM PS has participated in AstroInformatics 2015 and ADASS XXV meetings, giving invited talks on LSST Data Management at both conferences. Colin Slater has attended the Milky Way Science Collaboration meeting and the re)Solving Galaxies in the Era of Extremely Large Telescopes workshop, taking comments and inputs for refinement on DM plans. Reports have been posted to http://community.lsst.org .
 
After AstroInformatics 2015, the DM PS attended a meeting with LOI signers from  Croatia (with Zeljko Ivezic). They’ve reaffirmed their considerable interest for LSST, and plans to proceed with signing an MOU at the level of at least two PIs. After ADASS, I attended an LSST BoF session with the Australian  community, and discussed opportunities for doing science with LSST.
 
Planned activities:
 
In November, the DM PS team will remain focused on the NEO studies (incl. tests of MOPS and analysis of difference image false positives), beginning to investigate morphological star galaxy separation to tighten the requirements in the DPDD, participation in the quarterly DMLT meeting, and presentation of LSST capabilities for Solar System science at the Division of Planetary Sciences  meeting in Washington, D.C.
DM System Engineering

Current accomplishments:

Accomplishments by the DM System Architect and Deputy System Architect include:


·  Conducted DM Boot Camp
·  Designed several Data Butler improvements with Nate Pease
·  Completed 2016 hardware procurement planning
·  Further refined definition of DM operational systems
·  Drove planning process and started to set DMLT meeting agenda
·  Resolved copyright/licensing policy
·  Talked with Intel about profiling and performance analysis
·  Discussed risk management with T/CAMs
·  Reviewed DESC Science Roadmap
·  Contributed to Technical Operations work
·  Attended and presented a talk at the DM Boot Camp
·  Wrote poster and associated proceedings paper for the ADASS conference.
·  Attended ADASS XXV conference.
·  Continued with DM requirements tracing.
·  Began to look into fixing the stack so that it builds on OS X El Capitan (DM-3200)

The DM System Interfaces Scientist accomplished:


·   Traveled with David Ciardi and Xiuqin Wu to Tucson to discuss collaboration with the LSST DM SQuARE group on visualization tools for the SQuAsH framework, and the NOAO Data Lab group on the possible use of Firefly in Data Lab, and to exchange ideas related to the provision of Level 3 capabilities using a system similar to CADC's.
·   Met with Sandrine Thomas, Telescope Scientist, to identify the remaining open issues and actions needed to produce an update of LSE-75.
·   Met with Mike Huffer of the SLAC Camera team to discuss the DAQ-related handoff milestones for early integration.  This is the follow-on to LCR-323.
·   Continued efforts to ensure that the Camera visualization effort progresses.  My work concentrated particularly on encouraging development of a clear standard for WCS information that will assist in construction and visualization of amplifier mosaics up to raft scale.
·   Regular meetings with Matias Carrasco Kind to move the "SuperTask" project forward.

 
Planned activities:

The DM System Architect and Deputy System Architect will:

  
  
 
· Conduct DMLT meeting
· Revise LDM-240 roadmap based on DLP JIRA project
· Finalize DM construction resource requirements
· Contribute to Technical Operations and Operations Proposal work
· Collaborate with Mario Juric on ADASS LSST DM paper.
· Continue requirements tracing
· Complete port of stack to OS X El Capitan
The DM System Interfaces Scientist will:
· Produce a proposal for the role and future development of the SuperTask concept.  Work with Matias Carrasco Kind to deliver a demonstration.
· Produce a draft of the integration milestone list including DAQ milestones, and bring it to dissuasion in the systems engineering group, towards the LCR-323 follow-on.
· Produce an updated draft of LSE-75 based on the October work with Sandrine Thomas.
· Provide feedback to the NCSA team on their design documents based on the system ICDs.
· Meet with OCS team to review status of LSE-70, LSE-74, LSE-209 and the related system-specific documents, LSE-72 for DM.
DM Science Quality and Reliability Engineering (SQuaRE)
Current Accomplishments:
02C.01.02 SDQA 
· DM Boot Camp
SQuaRE sharpened its pencils and attended the first DM Boot Camp. Russell Owen from UW travelled to Tucson to assist with questions and tutorials. We are very grateful to Russell for his knowledge and patience, and to Simon Krughoff for making him available.
· Science Verification Activities
Work continues with a number of people attempting to process their designated datasets with the stack, though due to the Boot Camp there are no notable milestones to report. Minutes for the Verification weekly telecons describing ongoing progress can be found at http://ls.st/f43
· Development Activities
We investigated Git LFS as a solution to storing data repositories of CI/QA interest (such as afwdata) in git. Our evaluation was positive and we opened RFC-104 inviting testing of our prototype. The RFC was accepted and the system was deployed at the end of the month into production on the Nebula OpenStack cluster. The core repository afwdata was converted and our Continuous Integration system was switched to pulling it from the Git LFS service, thus providing some early performance feedback. Although the service is live, the SQuaRE production deployment process still has some remaining steps, which will be addressed next month. This is the first SQuaRE production service deployed on Nebula, and much work was done architecting on that system and passing feedback to the Nebula team.
· Non-Technical Activities
Recruitment opened on a science position to assist with Verification and QA Activities.
Josh Hoblitt attended and gave a well-received talk at PuppetConf relating to configuration management of Jenkins authentication, based on work that was done in Summer 2015. Frossie Economou attended Github Universe, a conference on build-release-deploy technologies and software collaboration (informal “live” meeting notes were circulated).
Planned Activities:
02C.01.02 Science Quality and Reliability Engineering
· Verification dataset processing
· GitLFS test deployment wrap-up
· NCSA Nebula Openstack cluster evaluation (cont)
· Documentation infrastructure beta-testing
· Automated binary environment development
DM Applications, Middleware, and Infrastructure
Current accomplishments:
· Refer to by institution reports below
Planned activities:
· Refer to by institution reports below


University of Washington

Current accomplishments:

02C.03.00 Alert Production Management Engineering and Integration

All members of the team participated in the DM bootcamp in one capacity or another.  Russell Owen (RO) travelled to Tucson to assist Frossie and her team with bootcamp activities.  Simon Krughoff (SK) and Yusra AlSayyad (YA) conducted activities at UW with David Reiss (DR), Ian Sullivan (IS), and Nate Pease (SLAC) attending locally and John Parejko (JP) attending remotely from Yale.  Overall the bootcamp was a success in many ways.  I think it succeeded in giving new members a foothold in the DM system.  It was also very nice to have a member of another team visiting for the week.  It was a different dynamic than our usual interaction with other teams at large collaboration meetings.  JP arrived in person in early October.

YA spent a majority of the month in Chile collaborating with Francisco Forster in his efforts to run his HiTS data through the image differencing pipelines.

SK attended the DESC meeting at Argonne National Lab.  The DESC is ramping up quite rapidly and represents a community fully willing to take on DM as the preferred way of processing data.  I believe we can make great headway by ensuring the DESC community needs are heard and met.

02C.03.01 Single Frame Processing Pipelines

As his first task working with LSST, JP is taking the lead on the development of a generalized WCS class that can represent coordinate transforms in a more natural way.  This work will require taking a census of the current solutions in the community, identifying use cases in our own code, suggesting a solution for our system, and implementing that solution.

02C.03.04 Image Differencing Pipeline

IS and DR continued to work on the initial draft of a report on the state of the literature on DCR.  They have also been developing tools that predict DCR and can be used in modeling and mitigation work down the road.  YA has cleaned up the image differencing pipeline so that it now works in single image (with template) mode, and can take two overlapping single epoch images.

02C.03.05 Application Framework for Exposures

RO worked on several aspects of the stack in general that were found to be lacking.  E.g. doxygen documentation was being omitted for several packages because the required.  He also made general improvements to the obs_test package to enable more varied tests.  RO also finished up some of the dangling work on dealing with bringing aperture corrections over from HSC.

Planned Activities:

02C.03.00 Alert Production Management, Engineering and Integration

SK will be traveling for the DMLT meeting at Princeton.  DR will be representing LSST at the LSST/Gaia meeting in Liverpool.

02C.03.04 Image Differencing Pipeline

DR and IS will circulate their report on DCR and conduct a conversation about it with the thrust on identifying potential mitigation techniques for dealing with DCR in the context of image differencing.  DR will start work on upgrading the dipole measurement suite to production quality.

02C.03.07 Photometric Calibration Pipeline

RO will begin refactoring the calibration task.  This will first involve getting input for the interested parties and coming up with a design that addresses those use cases.

 


Princeton University and University of California, Davis
This report covers work carried out in FM12 of FY15 in the Data Release Production group.
 
Current accomplishments:
 
02C.04.00 - Data Release Production Management Engineering and Integration
 
Several members of the DRP group took place in the "Data Management Boot Camp", running 5 to 7 October, as lecturers, instructors and/or participants. We also welcomed Hsin-Fang Chiang (NCSA) and Merlin Fisher-Levine (BNL) to Princeton for this event, as well as a number of visitors from the University of Pennsylvania who joined us for one of the days.
 
Several members of the DRP team (Armstrong, Bosch, Lupton, Price) attended a Hyper SuprimeCam meeting in Japan this month. This reduced the overall velocity of work directly on LSST. However, the meeting produced a concrete plan for a new release of the HSC software and a stabilization period which will facilitate its merge to LSST: we expect HSC to put out a release candidate in early November, to focus on bug fixing throughout the rest of that month, and to release a stable version at the end of the month. That release will then be used as the basis for both HSC data processing for their next release and for the remainder of the merge to LSST.   Members of the DRP team were also involved in the Dark Energy Science Collaboration meeting in Chicago at the end of the month.
 
Management work focused on the ongoing revision of the software development roadmap (LDM-240). Substantial revisions have been made the the DM Applications Design docu- ment (LDM-151), and a number of open algorithmic issues have been identified. Together with the white paper produced by Bosch in September, these form the basis for a revised version of the roadmap whch will be presented at the Data Management Leadership Team meeting in Princeton in November.
 
Hiring
As of the start of October, Merlin Fisher-Levine is working for DRP at the 50% level while being based at Brookhaven National Laboratory. He will focus on the Calibra- tion Products Pipeline. He will regularly visit Princeton to ensure he becomes closely integrated with the team.
 
We have an informal offer outstanding to one candidate for the position of Scientific Software Developer. The formal offer has been delayed while we continue to refine the details with the University HR department.
 
The October issue of the AAS Job Register carries an advertisement for "postdoctoral positions in software", which will include work on LSST. We expect to begin reviewing candidates for this position in November.
 
02C.04.01 - Application Framework for Catalogs
 
A fix was applied to the origin of coordinates used in the image display code. [DM-3993] A fix was applied to avoid a race condition when storing the configuration of a task to disk. [DM-3911] When printing configuration parameters from a CmdLineTask, we now include not just the name of the parameter and its value, but also the associated documentation. [DM-3811]
 
02C.04.02 - Calibration Products Pipeline
 
Lupton and Fisher-Levine began preparations for initial tests of the Collimated Beam Projector which will take place at CTIO in late November.
 
02C.04.03 - PSF Estimation
 
No work was carried out in this WBS element in this month.
 
02C.04.04 - Image Coaddition Pipeline
 
No work was carried out in this WBS element in this month.
 
02C.04.05 - Object Detection and Deblending
 
No work was carried out in this WBS element in this month.
 
02C.04.06 - Object Characterization Pipeline
 
A complete audit of the differences in configuration and functionality between the LSST and HSC stacks through the single-frame processing pipeline was completed. The differences have been accounted for, either by merging the code or by documenting why it is not necessary or desirable to do so. This work is a necessary precondition for detailed comparison of the measurements made by the HSC and LSST stacks, a project which will be undertaken in November. [DM-3942]
 
A safer method of removing outliers when assembling coadds was implemented. This algorithm is based on detecting contiguous regions in the difference between a non-clipped coadd and an aggressively-clipped coadd, and only rejecting pixels that are outliers in a single epoch. This approach has been successfully used on HSC. [DM-2915]
 
The NaiveDipoleCentroid and NaiveDipoleFlux measurement algorithms were updated so as to not requite that a centroider be run when these measurements are made. This simplifies the codebase, especially when unit testing. [DM-3940]
 
Critical bugs were resolved in the CModel measurement code, one of which resulted in bad star/galaxy classification and error in uncertainty estimates. Both of these bugs initially found and fixed during development on HSC; equivalent fixes were applied to the LSST stack. [DM-3821]
 
The image interpolation tasks were refactored for simplicity and ease of maintenance. In the process, the ability to taper the interpolation to a user-specified value (which can either be specified directly or as a statistical function of the image data) at the image edge was added. [DM-3677]
 
A number of minor but important bug fixes and improvements were performed on the codebase. Notably, this included work to support the recently-released version 1.10 of NumPy. [DM-4022, DM-4071, DM-4139]
 
Planned activities:
 
02C.04.00 - Data Release Production Management Engineering and Integration
 
We expect the ongoing effort to update our long term plans to continue in the run up to the Data Mananagement Leadership Team meeting in mid-November. This will include further revision of the plan for object detection and measurement, but also an increased focus on the plan for calibration including scheduled discussions with the relevant working group.
 
Practical and administative planning for the DMLT meeting will also be undertaken.
Initial review of the applicants for the "postdoctoral positions in software" will take place.
 
02C.04.01 - Application Framework for Catalogs
 
Continued focus on merging work from HSC. In addition to a number of minor fixes and improvements, we hope to bring over the parallalelization middleware.
 
02C.04.02 - Calibration Products Pipeline
 
Fisher-Levine and Lupton will travel to Chile for initial tests using the Collimated Beam Projector on CTIO.
 
02C.04.03 - PSF Estimation
 
No work is planned for this WBS element in this month.
 
02C.04.04 - Image Coaddition Pipeline
 
No work is planned for this WBS element in this month.
 
02C.04.05 - Object Detection and Deblending
 
No work is planned for this WBS element in this month.
 
02C.04.06 - Object Characterization Pipeline
 
Following the preparations described above, a major effort to compare the current state of single-frame processing between LSST and HSC will be undertaken and will drive the priorities for merging.

 


IPAC / California Institute of Technology

Current accomplishments:

02C.05.00  Science User Interface and Analysis Tools Management Engineering and Integration

·   Continued to work with IPAC IRSA group on collaboration in Firefly development, plan and schedule coordination, common system for issue tracking. We are in the process to move the daily development to github. 

·   Second round update in Jira project DLP, refine milestones,  KPM and meta-epics.

·   Several remembers of SUI/T team attended the DM boot camp sessions remotely.

·   Xiuqin, David, and Gregory traveled to Tucson to meet with LSST deputy director.

·   Xiuqin and David attended the ADASS meeting in Sydney, Australia. Xiuqin gave an invited talk titled “Firefly development roadmap”. David was on a panel for discussion about the future of the astronomy software and UI. David also attended the IVOA session. 

02C.05.01   Basic Archive Access Tools

·   Attended the bi-weekly discussion with SLAC, NCSA, SQUARE on authorization and authentication. NCSA group presented a very comprehensive diagram for the  authorization and authentication system.   https://confluence.lsstcorp.org/display/LAAIM/LSST+Authentication%2C+Authorization%2C+and+Identity+Management+Home

·   Intensive design discussion (5 days, 3-5 hours per day) of the new Firefly core system using React and FLUX framework. The design work has been captured here  https://confluence.lsstcorp.org/display/DM/Firefly+Client+Application+Architecture .

·   Working on conversion of Firefly client side software from GWT based code to React/FLUX based pure JavaScript code. A simple framework is setup using React/redux. Added a new React component for tabs management.

·   JavaScript development environment setup, eslint, unit test, ect.

·   Continue working on the SUI/T design and design document

 02C.05.02   Data Analysis and Visualization Tools

·   Server side preparation for histogram plot

·   Bug fix in coordinate grid overlay

02C.05.03 Alert/Notification Toolkit

02C.05.05 User workspace

·   Continue the design of workspace.

Planned activities:

02C.05.00  Science User Interface Management Engineering and Integration


·  Continue to work with IPAC IRSA group on collaboration in Firefly development, plan and schedule coordination. Finish the move to github.
·  Xiuqin, David, and Gregory will attend the DMLT meeting at Princeton.
·  Xiuqin vacation: 2 days

 
02C.05.01   Basic Archive Access Tools
 

·  Continue the discussion of data access APIs with SLAC group, if needed
·  Continue to attend the bi-weekly discussion with SLAC, NCSA, SQUARE on authorization and authentication
·  Continue working on the conversion of Firefly client side software from GWT based code to React/FLUX based pure JavaScript code
·  Continue working on the SUI/T design and design document
·  Provide a framework with grid image display feature (to display multiple images at the same time) for SQuaRE group. 

 
 
 02C.05.02   Data Analysis and Visualization Tools
 

·  Refactor  some of the Firefly server side code
·  Provide a framework with grid image display feature (to display multiple images at the same time) for SQuaRE group. 
·  Provide support for Camera team to use Firefly to display the focal plane image

 
 02C.05.03 Alert/Notification Toolkit
 
 02C.05.05 User workspace
 

·  Continue the design of workspace.

 
 

 


SLAC / Stanford University

Current accomplishments:
02C.06.00 Science Data Archive and Application Services Management Engineering and Integration
 


·  Coordinated October Sprint for the Data Access Team
·  Organized weekly Qserv and Data Access meetings
·  Continued search for candidate for the remaining open position
·  Actively working on XLDB2016 conference program at SLAC, continued work on grant with NSF to support work at SLAC on xldb-for-government which is now planned for the fall of 2016 or early 2017

 
02C.06.01.01 Catalogs, Alerts and Metadata
 

·   Implemented proof-of-concept prototype of Provenance (DM-3958)

 
02C.06.02.01 Data Access Client Framework
 

·   Added support for registry-free repository in Butler (DM-3591)

 
02C.06.02.02 Web Services
 

  
   
  
  
  
 
  
  
  
· [nothing planned]
02C.06.02.03 Query Services
· Release highlights:
· Switched away from zookeeper to MySQL for CSS
· Cancellation-related code cleaned up
· Code improvements:
· DM-4003: Replace zookeeper CSS with mysql
· DM-3946: Cleanup cancellation-related worker code
· DM-3952: Cleanup lua miniParser
· DM-4092: Update qserv for lastest xrootd
· DM-2873: Handle "where objectId between"
· DM-2334: Simplify interactions with XrdOss
· DM-3755: Revisit shared scans design
· DM-3192: Re-implement watcher based on new CSS implementation
· DM-3574: Replace qservAdmin.py use with CssAccess
· DM-4145: Reduce scons output in qserv
· Documentation improvements
· DM-3910: Run and document multi-node test with docker
· Continued work on data distribution prototype
· Started work on secondary index (epic DM-2119). Note this is new work that was added this month, conducted by a new member of the team we brought in mid October (Mike Kelsey), see LSR 489
Planned activities:
02C.06.00 Science Data Archive and Application Services Management Engineering and Integration
· Organize weekly Qserv and Data Access meetings
· Search for candidate for the remaining open position
· DMLT meeting in Princeton
02C.06.01.01 Catalogs, Alerts and Metadata
· Continue work on provenance design
02C.06.01.02 Image and File Archive
· N/A
02C.06.02.01 Data Access Client Framework
· Continue work on Butler
· Improve spatial image search
·
02C.06.02.02 Web Services
· Add unit test to Webserv
02C.06.02.03 Query Services
· Revisit shared scans design
· Continue work on database/table management
· Continue work on data distribution prototype
· Complete work on query cancellation
· Continue work on secondary index
02C.06.02.04 Image Services
· Make location of images more flexible
02C.06.02.05 Catalog Services
· N/A


NCSA / University of Illinois


Current accomplishments:
02C.00 Processing Control and Site Infrastructure Management, Engineering, and Integration
 
Annual Acquisition Strategy Document:


·   We completed the FY16 Annual Acquisition Strategy Document, specifying capabilities NCSA will procure and provision, price estimates for these capabilities, and services that will be decommissioned in FY16 (as per the contract). This was submitted for approval to the LSST project.
·   We also started internal discussions with NCSA infrastructure and systems groups about what it will take for NCSA to install and run these capabilities, as well as with the business and contracts office to start thinking about individual procurement strategies that will optimize purchasing these capabilities. We drafted a set of baseline requirements for evaluating server hardware from different vendors that will be used in the procurement process.

 
Refine design specification and requirements analysis:

·   We continued our deep dive into the Level 1 system – specifically the Image Ingest and Processing system – functional design specification and long-term planning.
o   We updated design pages on Confluence (under https://confluence.lsstcorp.org/display/~petravick/Breakdown+of+the+to-be+facility ) for Image Acquisition at the Base Site, the EFD, the Observatory Operations Server, the OCS-L1 Bridge, and Alert Distribution. We considered the requirements of each of the components the DMCS and its interface with the OCS.
o   Simultaneous with design specification, we started creating a long-term plan for constructing the L1 system. This is being created in MS Project.

 
Joint Coordination Council for Satellite Computing Facility coordination:

·   We held the monthly meeting with CC-IN2P3, LSST and NCSA. Topics included the FY16 Annual Acquisition Strategy, L2 and L3 provisioning, and items to consider at SC2015, including object stores and general long-term storage options. Notes from the meeting are available on Confluence ( https://confluence.lsstcorp.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=41787576) .

 
Operations Planning in TOWG:

·   Following ITIL practices, we drafted a service catalog for services to be provided during operations at the Archive Center and DACs.

 
DM Bootcamp:

·   Several members of the NCSA team attended the DM bootcamp, and one presented about the current orchestration software (orca).

 
Other general management:

·   We interviewed five candidates for the Research Scientist and Research Programmer positions open at NCSA.
·   We onboarded our new Research Programmer, James Parsons.

 
02C.01 Processing Control
 
Prototype DRP sequence:

·   We worked on extending the obs_decam package for processing raw DECam data by incorporating ISR into the LSST stack (IsrTask).
·   We updated the camera geometry description in obs_decam to handle raw DECam images, including accounting for overscan regions and updating the pixel array layout.

 
SuperTask in the Process Execution Framework:

·   We implemented a basic first structure of the SuperTask framework. Changes committed to github here: https://github.com/lsst-dm/pipe_base-x/tree/u/mgckind/prototype .

 
AP Simulator:

·   Most work on AP in October was focused on documenting the current AP simulator and refining the design specification, as noted above.

 
02C.02 Infrastructure Services
 
AA and IAM services:

·   The IAM team at NCSA started work in October towards designing an Identity and Access Management program. We met with the SUI and data access teams to discuss user workspace needs and considered the expected IAM needs of other systems in the LSST project. A draft IAM design document with functional components and technical recommendations was completed by the end of October; see attachment at https://confluence.lsstcorp.org/pages/viewpageattachments.action?pageId=41788780&metadataLink=true .

 
File system policies and services:

·   Based on the proposed FY16 capabilities and data retention needs, we started reevaluating the near-term file system policies and procedures.

 
02C.03 Infrastructure Services
 
No activities planned during W16.
 
02C.04 Infrastructure Services
 
 
Commissioning NCSA OpenStack for LSST:

·   We worked with the SQuaRE team and a couple other LSST developers to help them ramp up their use of the NCSA Nebula cluster.
·   We worked on “getting started” documentation and media for LSST users, including building an instance and creating a snapshot of a HTCondor worker with v11.0 of the LSST stack (extending the Condor pool of the LSST development cluster into the Nebula) and creating a video demonstrating basic Nebula setup ( https://mediaspace.illinois.edu/media/openstack_init/1_29ubgh5h ).

 
Replacement development infrastructure:

·   Equipment from the FY15 hardware procurement plan arrived at NCSA in October, so we spent most of the month installing and configuring the new capabilities. This involved mounting new servers, rearranging hardware/networking in the machine room, setting up vSphere services for system management, and setting up VM cluster for hosting Mac VMs. Almost all of the FY15 hardware was received by the end of October.

 
Support for operating development infrastructure:

·   Continued system administration of lsst-dev and Nebula, including migrating datasets off NFS to clean up space (e.g., SDRP run data moved to the Blue Waters archive), upgrading the ZFS stack on the LSST storage nodes, account creation, and user support. The IT system administrators also set up Microsoft Project on a server to facilitate our internal planning, described above.

 
Planned activities:
 
02C.00 Processing Control and Site Infrastructure Management, Engineering, and Integration
 
FY16 Annual Acquisition Strategy Document:

·   We will work with AURA to get the FY16 hardware purchasing plan into official contract form.

 
Refine design specification and requirements analysis:

·   The main focus of NCSA will be our deep dive into the Level 1 system, breaking down the design and functional requirements to the level that is estimable.

 
Joint Coordination Council for Satellite Computing Facility coordination:

·   The JCC monthly meeting in November, following SC2015, will be incorporated into a face-to-face coordination meeting at NCSA. Proposed topics of discussion include inter-site data exchange and workflow orchestration; technology explorations at each facility, sizing model/equipment plans, and each site’s IT governance and organization (e.g., change-control processes, service catalogs, etc.).

 
Operations Planning in TOWG:

·   NCSA will continue to participate in the Technical Operations Working Group, as well as begin participating in the newly-formed LSST Operations Proposal Team, providing technical input, adding/refining use cases, and identifying gaps in the current operations plan.

 
Supercomputing 2015:

·   Two members of the NCSA will attend SC2015 to gain insight in technology trends. This will prepare us for the Sizing Model technology and costing refresh due in February, as well as inform us about technology we are considering implementing in future fiscal years of construction/operations (e.g., object stores, GPFS and other file systems).

 
Other general management:

·   We will attend the DMLT meeting at Princeton mid-November.
·   Our open programmer/scientist positions close in October, so in November we will assess our applicant pool and coordinate any further interviews.

 
02C.01 Processing Control
 
Prototype DRP sequence:

·   We will continue work on extending the LSST stack to incorporate ISR processing on raw DECam data.
·   We will start work on adding fringe correction to obs_decam.
·   We will start prototyping the Nebula system for processing datasets with the stack.

 
SuperTask in the Process Execution Framework:

·   We will work towards a prototype SuperTask framework for demonstration at the face-to-face DMLT meeting.

 
OCS Software Integration:

·   We will attend the CCS-DAQ-OCS-DM workshop to get an update on OCS documentation and the timeline for rolling out the next version of the OCS software.

 
02C.02 Infrastructure Services
 
AA and IAM services:

·   We will gather feedback on the draft LSST IAM design document and start work on an initial implementation for technical demonstration of the proposed IAM program.

 
 
02C.03 Infrastructure Services
 
No activities planned during W16.
 
02C.04 Infrastructure Services
 
Commissioning NCSA OpenStack for LSST:

·   We will work on LSST user documentation for setting up and launching instances on the Nebula.
·   Work with the SQuaRE and Nebula teams to deploy Ceph object store on the Nebula.

 
Replacement development infrastructure:

·   We will continue installation and configuration of the replacement hardware purchased in FY15, setting up the remaining servers, migrating services to VMs, setting up the Mac OSX VMs, and configuring UPS.

 
Decommission old development infrastructure:

·   We will start decommissioning old VMware equipment replaced by the new vSphere servers,

 
Support for operating development infrastructure:

·   System administrative support for users.
·   Monthly maintenance.

 


NOAO


Current accomplishments:
02C.08.00 International Communications and Base Site Management Engineering and Integration
 
Ron Lambert formally moved over to work 80% time for LSST and 20% AURA 10% (backbone and external network) and CTIO 10% (when required), thus relinquishing his position in NOAO.
 
02C.08.01 Base Center
 
Attended meetings for the Base facility relating to the Data Center. Recommended that the DC is constructed with seismic isolation on the grounds that all other DCs in Chile are constructed on that basis. We should be able to save on non-structural seismic protections. It has been the consensus from the A&E, Tom Durbin (NCSA) and Ron Lambert that we adopt a raised floor for cooling distribution but continue with cabling in overhead trays.
 
02C.08.03 Long-Haul Networks
 
REUNA and Ron Lambert passed much of the month preparing for and reading RFP proposals for DWDM equipment in Chile, from the 9 vendors. At the end of the month they commenced interviewing the first round of the process. They are employing a negotiated process whereby the “last standing” with the best economic (25%) and technical (75%) offer will win the competition.
 
Prepared a Gantt chart for the Chilean networks for insertion into PMCS that is consistent with the REUNA Contracts document.   The span summit to base was changed in terms of contracts to (a) base-gate, (b) gate-summits in which AURA for the latter will contractually sign with Telefonica for the gate-summits spans.
 
It is sometimes difficult to get feedback from the various groups on their plans for the DC networks and where they are heading. The Network Architect needs to get more aggressive in this respect. Hopefully we can all collaborate in the February 2016 meeting to get a better understanding. The Network Architect will make a strawman proposal that we collectively purchase all the equipment with one RFP, this should save money and ensure we have a homogenous system.
 
Planned Activities.
 
02C.08.00 International Communications and Base Site Management, Engineering, and Integration
 


·   Attend SC2015 and meet with NCSA personnel.
·   Visit Tucson to meet with Jacques Sebag, Shahram Sobhani and Oliver Wiecha.

 
02C.08.01 Base Center
 

·   Continue the design of the base Data Center specifications along with the architects.

 
02C.08.03 Long-Haul Networks
 

·   Continue with RFP process preparing for the second round.
·   Prepare a document for the summit computer facility.
·   Commence a document for an RFP for summit and base DC network equipment.
·   Bring LSE-78 up to date
·   Start to get more involved with the US side of the LH network.
·   Meet with Telefonica to discuss gate to summits installation.

Back to top